Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

PDR

Thursday
My legs were feeling a bit tired, so Matt and I took a power walk around the neighborhood.  We went 3 miles in 50 minutes.  It was great to take it a little bit easy and catch up with my husband.  We also left around 8pm, so I was glad to have him once it got dark out!
Taken on our honeymoon...not Thursday's walk!

Friday
I've been trying to lift weights twice a week while marathon training.  Before I started training I was lifting 3 times per week.  I knew that once I was running so much that I would not have the energy to lift that often.  I started the program outlined in the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women."  As a 2x P90X graduate, I have to say that I like The New Rules better.  There are 7 stages and I'm on stage 4 right now.  I'm looking forward to stage 6 when we work doing a chin-up.  I have never been able to do one and it is on my life goals list.

I also did some baking.  I adapted Angela's Carrot Cake Power Scuffins.
I am calling mine Chocolate Coconut Carrot Scuffins (got to love the alliteration!).


  • Flax egg: 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed and set aside for 5 mins
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking power
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (though I think vanilla might be better)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded or grated carrots (approx 2 medium)
  • 1/4 cup coconut
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts



Preheat oven to 350.  Mix flax and water in medium bowl.  Set aside.  Whisk together dry ingredients (flour through brown sugar).  Add wet (oil, yogurt, vanilla, and carrots) to the flax egg.  Add wet to dry and mix just until incorporated.  Add coconut and walnuts and mix to disperse.  I got 17 scuffins.  I scooped 1/8 cup onto silpat mats.  Bake for 25 minutes.


These smelled awesome and taste great.  They aren't super sweet and I found that they were perfect for pre-run fuel.  


Saturday
I ate three of my scuffins with peanut butter and a bunch of water before my run this morning.  I also packed one for a mid-run snack.  I was on my way out the door and turned on my garmin.  My low battery alert popped up.  Not sure how that happened.  I came back in and charged it for 20 minutes but it still died on me during my run.  


I ran a PDR today!  Running 14 miles really didn't seem that much further than a half marathon.  But it still feels great!  I'm guessing I finished around 2 hours and 30 minutes.  My garmin died at 13.68 miles.  If only it could have hung on a little bit longer :(


I ran on the Montour Trail today.  I about 4 miles away from the trailhead.  This way I was able to run through the awesomest part of the trail:



A tunnel!  It's pretty fun to run through.


O.k.  I have a full day of a little bit of relaxing and a little bit of work ahead of me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment